We want to give the mind a job as we begin to gently slow ourselves down. Coming into the present moment with the mind in observation mode allows us to step into third person style viewing.
A neat little trick of self-awareness.
Have some pen and paper ready
- Find a time that suits you morning, day or night. Get into a comfortable position that you can stay in for a couple of minutes
- Close your eyes and bring your attention to your breath
- Breathe in gently to the count of FIVE
- Softly hold your breath for the count of FIVE
- Release slowly your breath for the count of FIVE
- Repeat this cycle of breathing x EIGHT
- When you finish, write down what you notice about yourself e.g. heart rate, tightness in the body, softness, relaxed, frustrated, relieved, thoughts, feelings, sensations etc
You have just finished 2 minutes of being mindful in your day.